Questo sito utilizza i cookies per le proprie funzionalità. Chiudendo questo banner acconsenti all’uso dei cookies.Ho Capito! Autorizza e Continua! Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui.

Magnifica Comunità
di Fiemme

Il Palazzo, Museo Pinacoteca

Magnifica Comunità
di Fiemme

Il Palazzo, Museo Pinacoteca

History

Administrative structure

The assembly of the heads of the household, an authority of direct democracy, sanctioned the most important matters regarding collective assets and approved the financial statement. In the course of time, due to the distance between Cavalese and the other villages and to the increase in population, the number of meetings and of participants decreased. The 1613 AD documents (the so called consuetudini) stated two meetings per yearwith the attendance of 40 heads of the household – 10 for each district. On 1st May the assembly met in the square in front of the actual palace, whereas on 15th August the men convened on the meadows surrounding the church.

The highest authority was the president or scario. The latter word has Longobardic origins, and can be frequently found in documents of the 11th century to pinpoint the person in charge of tax exemptions or of the defense of the land. Later on, the scario was the head of a community. In Fiemme valley the word was first used in a 1234 AD document. As the result of a complex procedure, the scario was chosen on 1st May from a shortlist of three men who did not come from the same village of the outgoing president. The town of Moena had the right to submit the name of a fourth person. People from Castello di Fiemme could not apply for the office; unlike the other towns, the village was under Tyrolean jurisdiction and its inhabitants could not lawfully attend trials under the bishop’s jurisdiction.

The scario was assisted by the other representatives. His main duties were to call and preside over the meetings, to manage the collective chattel assets and real estates, to defend the rights and privileges of the community by keeping its archives. The scario also assisted the judges during trials and kept the keys of the prisons. Furthermore he had to settle any controversy regarding the use and exploitation of the collective estate.

For centuries Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme did not have an official seat; the scario and the representative therefore met wherever they wished to. In 1587 an edifice was built on the square in front of the bishop’s residence. On the ground floor there was a grain storehouse, the upper floor was used as a meeting room. This building was abandoned at the end of the 18th century and demolished at the beginning of the last century. On 15th December 1587 prince bishop baron Ludovico Madruzzo granted the community its actual coat of arms.

EVENTI
AMBASCIATORI DEL PALAZZO
ISCRIVITI ALLA NEWS LETTER
RASSEGNA STAMPA